A Series for the First Time Homebuyer, Nashville Style! STEP EIGHT: Odds and Ends
So you have decided that you want to take advantage of the First Time Home Buyer's $8000 Tax Credit?!! This may be a great idea for you because in Middle Tennessee, you have got LOTS of homes to choose from! Your dream of homeownership may soon become reality!
If you have never bought a home before (believe it or not, a "first time home buyer" just means that you have not owned a home in the past three years), the idea of it might be a little bit daunting. This series that I am putting together strives to help clarify the steps that will lead you into your new front door!
Time to Finish Up the Odds and Ends!!!
Okay, so at this point in the first time home buying process, you have nearly jumped over all of the hurdles! The last thing you did was check with your mortgage lender and you made sure that all of the necessary paperwork had been signed! You likely had to turn in some extra pay stubs and revealed your entire financial situation!
So here we are. All the LITTLE THINGS that remain to do are a little time consuming and I am going to attempt to give you a checklist so you can stay on track.
- Where are you living? Do you need to let a landlord know that you are moving out? Have you squared away your lease/living situation? Time to do that!
- You will most likely need some movers to help get you into your new home! Whether these will be friends, family or professionals, this needs to be set up. It is usually easiest (if you are moving to a new home in the same town) to box up the small things yourself and hire professional movers to do the heavy lifting.
- Utilities - they must be put in your name! If there is a traditional seller on the other side of the transaction, then usually you can arrange through your realtor to have the utilities switched into your name the moment that the sellers' utilities are turned off. Ask your realtor to coordinate this. Follow this link for utility services and phone numbers.
- If you are wanting to set up a security system and cable, then you need to make a phone call about these items as well.
- Do you have a pet who needs fencing, either invisible or other? Make that call!
- Do you need a lawn service? Make that call!
- Do you need trash pickup service? Make that call!
- Change your address with the Postal Service!
There are CHECKLISTS available for moving - but these are the basics and need to be taken care of! You will have plenty of other things to worry about after you close on your new house and you will be glad that you took care of these in advance!
If you are interested in selling or finding a home in Green Hills, Downtown, 12th South, or Oak Hill area of Nashville, or would like to look at other real estate for sale in the Middle Tennessee area, please search the MLS HERE. Please note: You will have to register with my site to be able to search the MLS. I will contact you initially and all requests thereafter for privacy will be respected.
Looking to move? Wanting to Invest? Need help as a First Time Buyer? Please feel free to call me, Emily Lowe (yes, I'm a Realtor, with The Lipman Group Sotheby's International Realty) at 615.509.1753